Just as food and water are essential for the human body, adequate sleep is necessary for good health too. Insufficient sleep has a detrimental effect on the body and mind. But now, most people are suffering from various sleep-related problems. This may be due to an uncontrolled lifestyle or various sleep disorders.
This article discusses the causes and remedies for insomnia and the problems that can result from insufficient sleep. There is also a discussion of age-appropriate sleep patterns, the benefits of good sleep, and sleep exercises. At the end of the paragraph, five sleep tips and tricks (including some more bonus tips) are scientific and most effective.
What does it mean to sleep well?
Sleep is the ultimate rest for the body and mind, relieving fatigue and stimulating you to work in new ways. There are many stages and types of sleep. For example, many people become conscious repeatedly in their sleep; they wake up with a little something.
Again in many cases, it is seen that he has fallen into a deep sleep. No external noise or light quickly wakes them up. And this kind of sleep is the best sleep so that the fatigue of the body is removed and freshness is restored.
According to the medical interpretation, there are also two main stages of sleep. Example:
- Non-REM Sleep: REM for Rapid Eye Movement. This is the first stage of sleep when there is relatively deep sleep. This stage lasts for a maximum of 90 minutes. However, in some cases, it may be more or less.
- REM Sleep: This stage is the most important because, at this stage, the body and mind get ready to work again, and this is the stage when people dream.
These two types of sleep (REM & non-REM) continue in phases throughout the night. In the case of an adult, this stage occurs 5 to 6 times at night. The duration of REM Sleep increases as the depth of the night increases. Towards the end of the night, people fall into the deepest sleep.
The benefits of good sleep
Just as sleep is essential for good health, good sleep has some special benefits too. The benefits of good sleep for the human body and mind are briefly highlighted.
- The loss of muscle mass in the body due to working all day is replenished by sleeping at night.
- It eliminates body and mind fatigue and builds the ability to work again, that is, regains strength in the muscles.
- Sleeping at night helps the brain retain good memory and increase its ability to concentrate.
- Maintains good heart function and plays a special role in controlling blood pressure.
- Increases the body’s overall immune system, which helps fight against disease and stay healthy.
How many hours of sleep per day?
There are nights for sleeping, but just saying night does not give a clear idea of the time limit for sleeping. And so, the National Sleep Foundation of the United States has specific guidelines in this regard. There are differences in sleep duration according to age which is shown in the table below.
|65 or more
||6 to 8 hours
|18 to 64 years
||8 to 9 hours
|14 to 18 years
||8 to 10 hours
|8 to 13 years
||9 to 11 hours
The table above shows that the amount of sleep decreases with age. In the same way, it has been instructed to sleep the most in the case of very young people. Example:
|3 to 5 years
||10 to 13 hours
|1 to 2 years
||11 to 14 hours
|4 to 11 months
||12 to 15 hours
|Up to 3 months of age
||14 to 16 hours
Just as there are differences in sleep duration depending on age, there are other factors on which sleep duration depends.
Example: Sleep varies depending on hard work. People who work harder need to sleep for a longer period of time to regain their body muscles. Comparatively less sleep will be enough for those who are less likely to fall asleep easily at night.
What diseases can occur if you do not have adequate sleep?
Everyone should get an adequate amount of sleep according to their sleep duration depending on the person, age, type of work, and nature of sleep. Sleeping a little shorter / longer than the required time is not a big problem, but insufficient sleep for a long time has a detrimental effect on the body. There are many benefits to a good night’s sleep, but not enough sleep can lead to various problems or diseases in the body and mind. Example:
- Health is deteriorating day by day.
- Muscle loss and loss of ability to work
- Memory is impaired, and as a result, something has easily forgotten
- The ability to think decreases
- Fails to focus on work
- Uncontrolled anger and emotion are seen
- Decreased skin beauty and acne can be seen
- Decreased sexual ability, etc.
It also increases the risk of complex diseases such as diabetes, heart disease (hypertension, stroke), weight gain, etc. Overall, the body’s immune system is weakened, making it more prone to infection and disease.
Sleep Treatment (Treatment of various diseases of insomnia)
Due to stress, busy schedule, etc., rare sleep disorders are not considered a disease. However, some diseases can cause long-term sleep problems, which are called sleep disorders in the medical language
The most common sleep problem is insomnia, more common in older people and women. Stress, anxiety, mood swings, hormonal effects, digestive issues, etc., are considered the causes of insomnia. There are usually three types of insomnia.
- Chronic: If you have trouble sleeping for a month or more, it is called chronic insomnia.
- Intermittent: It is a condition in which the sleeper suddenly wakes up at night and does not fall asleep again
- Transient: Transient insomnia is when you have trouble sleeping, not for a long time
Treatment of insomnia
The treatment of insomnia depends on the cause, which means that the treatment should be taken according to the reason that insomnia will be considered.
- If you have insomnia due to thyroid hormone problems (hyperthyroidism), you need to seek treatment from a hormone specialist.
- During menopause in women, there are huge hormonal changes in the body, leading to insomnia. In such cases, the advice of a gynecologist should be taken.
- To reduce stress and anxiety, seek counseling from a psychiatrist.
- In case of insomnia due to digestive problems, taking digestible, easy, digestible food is necessary.
- Also, sleeping pills can be taken according to the doctor’s advice
Sleep Apnea and its Remedies
It is a complex problem that causes shortness of breath during sleep and waking up. Usually, it is of two types:
- Obstructive sleep apnea: This problem is caused by an obstruction in the respiratory tract. Example: Polyps in the nose, swelling of the tonsils, etc. In such cases, surgery should be taken to remove the obstruction as per the doctor’s advice.
- Central sleep apnea: It is a complex neurological problem where the proper signals from the brain to the muscles involved in respiration do not reach. The advice of a neurosurgeon should be taken to remedy this problem.
Narcolepsy and its cure
Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder characterized by daytime sleep deprivation and sudden sleep attacks. it is a condition in which a person suddenly falls asleep while eating or driving. No specific cause is known, but medical scientists believe that this problem may be genetic problems, drug addiction, waking up at night, etc. The cure for this problem is avoiding drugs and changing the habit of staying up late at night. The advice of a neurologist can also be taken if necessary.
It is a disease related to narcolepsy, which is medically called sleep paralysis. In their sleep, they suddenly feel as if someone is holding them tightly, and there is no strength in the body to resist them. There are no effective remedies for this condition, but hopefully, it does not have any harmful effects on the body.
Restless leg syndrome (RLS)
Patients with this problem have abnormal feelings in their legs during sleep and then try to move their legs quickly, resulting in sleep disturbance. The exact cause of the problem is unknown, but medical scientists believe it may be linked to ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and Parkinson’s disease.
Treatment of RLS
Here are some effective ways to treat RLS:
- Massage the leg muscles
- Regular walking or running or swimming
- Apply hot compresses or ice to the leg muscles
- Medications can be taken to keep the leg muscles stable according to the doctor’s instructions
Parasomnias are medically called abnormal behavior during sleep. Usually, the patient does not feel anything but his sleep is disturbed. It can even be a problem for people in the neighborhood.
There are many types of parasomnias:
- Talking in sleep
- Waking up and walking subconsciously (Somnambulism)
- Having nightmares and making unusual noises or crying
- Urinating in bed
- It sounds like chewing with teeth
Treatment of parasomnias
A dental guard can be used to remedy sounding like chewing with teeth. Psychiatrists should be consulted for other problems.
Causes and remedies for not falling asleep at night
In addition to sleep disorders, there are several other factors that can be blamed for the overall lack of sleep at night.
- Lying down or sitting all-day
- The habit of drinking tea, coffee, cigarettes, or alcohol
- Drug addiction
- Frequent urination at night(Nocturia)
- Allergies, rheumatic pains, or headaches
- Bed, room temperature, light, etc. are not comfortable for sleeping
- Annoying noises in or around the house
- Mosquito infestation, etc.
Due to excessive use of the internet, addiction to mobile phones, watching movies at night, etc., many people tend to sleep late at night. This habit can lead to insomnia or sleeping disorders later in life.
Not being able to sleep at night is as painful as it is harmful to the body and mind. Moreover, only the victims know how difficult it is to spend the night if they do not get sleep at night. This problem can be easily solved by eliminating the causes of insomnia at night.
- You have to do physical work during the day.
- The habit of drinking tea and coffee should be reduced
- Smoking and drinking habits should be given up
- Allergies and medicines to cure pain
- A doctor should treat urinary problems
- Room temperature, lighting, and bedding should be comfortable
- You have to make a habit of sleeping with a mosquito net
- Mobile phone and internet addiction should be reduced
If necessary, sleeping pills can be taken. There are usually two types of medications to treat insomnia:
- OTC Medicine: over-the-counter – Classified drugs that can be taken without a doctor’s advice.
- diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Aleve PM)
- doxylamine succinate (Unisom)
- Prescription Medicine: Such drugs must be taken according to the doctor’s instructions.
- ramelteon (Rozerem)
- temazepam (Restoril)
- zaleplon (Sonata)
- zolpidem (Ambien)
- zolpidem extended-release (Ambien CR)
Here are some other things to do to prevent insomnia at night:
- Sugar and sugary foods (Refined carbohydrates) should be eaten less.
- Make it a habit to eat plenty of vegetables and fish
- Exercise regularly
- Drink comparatively less water at night
- Keep body weight under control
Exercise instructions are given to cure and prevent insomnia. But the question that arises in the minds of many is what kind of exercise will be able to play the most effective role? And also to know more about how long you should exercise and when you should exercise?
Studies have shown that exercise eliminates insomnia. Almost all types of exercise can effectively overcome the problem of insomnia. However, the most effective is the light exercise:
- Climbing the stairs
- Dancing, etc.
Exercising for 30 minutes every day is enough to cure sleep problems. Note that exercising 1 hour before going to bed at night can play the most effective role. This is because as the body temperature rises during the exercise, the body temperature decreases at the end of the exercise, which helps to fall asleep easily.
The body naturally produces the hormone melatonin, which plays a vital role in sleep. And so this hormone is called Sleep hormone. Sunrise and sunset are related to the release of the hormone melatonin. This means that the hormone melatonin is secreted at night and therefore, night is the best time to sleep.
People who can’t sleep at night are advised to take artificially made melatonin supplements. Melatonin supplements may be effective in relieving insomnia, but they also have some harmful side effects, such as headache, nausea, dizziness, etc.
5 tips for good sleep
- Studies have shown that people who go to bed at different times of the day often have trouble sleeping. And so you should make it a habit to sleep at the same time every day. And it is important to wake up at the same time in the morning.
- Many people like to sleep with pets but research has shown that sleeping with pets can lead to sleep problems. And so pets should be kept away / in another room while sleeping at night.
- Research has shown that drinking coffee up to 6 hours before bedtime can interfere with sleep. And so it is better not to drink coffee in the evening.
- Just as being in the light during the day helps to maintain the body’s circadian rhythm, sleeping in the light at night has a detrimental effect on sleep. Blue light, especially from mobile phones or laptops, is as harmful to the eyes as it can cause insomnia. To solve this problem, mobile phones or laptops should be limited, especially at night. Using Blue-cut lenses can also help prevent blue light.
- It is important to give up alcohol. Because research has shown that alcohol reduces the secretion of the hormone melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that plays a key role in sleep.
- The bed and pillow should be comfortable.
- Wear loose or comfortable clothing before going to bed
- Sleeping for a maximum of 30 minutes during the day is beneficial for the brain. You should not sleep during the day for longer than this.
- Dinner should not be eaten too late. It is better to have dinner 3 to 4 hours before going to bed.
- You should not drink too much water for 1 to 2 hours before going to bed. This is because it can speed up urination at night which interferes with good sleep
- Reading a book for a while before going to sleep, listening to soft music, doing yoga, etc., are helpful for sleep.
Sleep is an essential element of human well-being, without which people can easily become physically and mentally ill. And so you should get enough sleep every day according to the rules. At the same time, if someone has a problem with sleep, you have to find out the reason for not getting sleep. Then appropriate medical measures have to be taken according to that reason. Also, the above-mentioned scientific tips on sleep can effectively overcome sleep problems.